Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Day 15

Has it only been 15 days?  It just seems so surreal.

This morning I read a story about a woman who went to the grocery store and in the middle of an aisle was an elderly woman crying, she only had $37 to spend on food and had to take a cab or uber back home.  She could not find any groceries, so this woman helped her. Upon talking to her she said she was scared she lived through the depression.  My parents did too and I have to wonder how many their age are scared too thinking they may have to live through this again.  I stocked my mom up when this first started cos I did not want her to go without and even though I have my 3 months stash I will dig into it to help people their age because I don't want them being afraid and thinking this could happen to them again.  My dad talked about often only having a baked potato for lunch cos they were plentiful grown in the garden.  Mom was the baby of 9 kids and talks about how often there was not much to eat.  I see people baking bread again, no flour or yeast to be found and thinking about growing a garden, my dad always had one.  It is time to return back to being self sufficient we have become to lazy and dependent on things that we don't have to grow ourselves. So are you baking bread and growing a garden this year?

You can hear the lawn mowers going, first mowing of the season.  I did manage to work in the flower beds and made some progress.  I have lots of wild violets blooming, some a purple and some white with purple.  I love them.  The birds are sure singing today.  Looking at the weather after tomorrow afternoon it won't be yard work weather so best get to it while I can for now.

Last year working on the Kid's Camp at the Irish Center my Crafts helper and I would meet at each other's homes.  We would always fix a snack. I made strawberry muffins the first meeting.  It has become a fav of ours. Well the other day she texted me a pic that she had made some.  Made me want to make some but no strawberries so I had these yuge blackberries in the freezer, they are in the oven now, can you smell them?  Can't wait to taste them.  Instead of almond extract I put Amaretto in.  They are pretty good, I got 30 out of the recipe. In the freezer they go for future breakfasts.

For some reason this seems like Saturday night, I have no idea why.  It was a perfect weather day. 



No comments: