Saturday, June 13, 2020

Fire Ants, Hostas, Day Lily, and Yellow Rose

Yesterday I cleaned out the new hosta bed.  I have a small bed under the deck and I want to put hostas in there cos the one hosta bed maintains itself for keeping weed free.  They are so huge weeds can't breathe.  I had moved 2 baby hostas to this bed cos they were total shade out front and weren't doing well.  They have since felt better and are growing.  I got 2 more hostas yesterday and last night planted them.  I first cleaned out the bed and then at the end closest to the street I saw this huge mound of dirt.  What on earth is that, I pulled the weeds off of it and it began to fall upon itself and here they come, hundreds of fire ants.  Oh crap no.  So when I watered the new hostas I poured the rest of the water on the mound. I then proceeded to see what I could naturally kill them with.  They bite and be deadly. I am not quite ready to go yet, and certainly not by ants.  So I found a cup of baking soda and powdered sugar each.  I poured the whole recipe on the mound, no rain for days and it is hot and muggy. I found their 3 entry ways and covered them as well.  The sugar they love but the soda will kill them.  So now I wait.  Never know what I will find in my yard, I have my own zoo.



 The Hostas are out of control this year.  They all bloom various shades of purple,yes my fav color. I have a bright orange day lily and a orange/yellow rose bush in the midst of them.