Monday, December 04, 2023

Memories

 A friend posted the Christmas Chevrolet commercial on FB, it is 5 minutes long.  Best grab a box of kleenex before you watch it.  Go ahead and look it up. 

When I was a kid and we lived in Carlsbad, NM we would drive around and look at the Christmas lights, of course we went to the rich neighborhoods.  They had some of the ugliest decorations ever.  We would take cocoa and cookies and just have a fun evening.

Later in life my dad and i would still do this and when his dementia kicked in, I would bundle him up, grab cocoa and cookies and off we would go to the rich neighborhoods. Dad would often comment rich people have no taste. Or he would yell stop and sit and look at some house, memories of days past, just being in the moment of Christmas, or?   Then he would say we can go now. I never asked, he never told.  

I miss those days.  Perhaps this year I will get in the car and drive through a couple of rich neighborhoods with cocoa for me and pretend dad is sitting next to me yelling STOP!.

Dad I know you can see ALL the lights from your seat up there and I can imagine how beautiful it is.  Christmas was his holiday.  If you did not put the tinsel on the tree one at a time and in the perfect place you had to take it off one by one and start over.  Do not even think of throwing away that nasty silver tinsel, cos it was pulled off one by one and saved for next year.  Afterall it was $.15/box. 

No comments: