Sunday, July 07, 2019

Week 19 Style

How has your personal style changed between your teenage years and today? Or do you still follow the same basics today?

* What do you find challenging about embroidery? Are you confident making changes to a pattern or do you prefer to follow it the way it's written?

* With regards to quilt making, have you been inspired to create a quilt from difficult fabrics in your stash?  What was the source of inspiration and were you happy with the end result?

* What have you purchased direct from a maker that has become a treasure?
Knitted Vests: I have always wanted to make one, but never have, guess I have never found a pattern I cared to try or I had other things with a deadline.  I am putting this project at the top of my must knit list.  It would be easier than a sweater because no sleeves.  You don't see a lot of them today, are they old fashioned or not in style, or no one wears vests anymore.  
Embroidery:  I can I just am not good at it because I have not done it much. I keep collecting Jenny's patterns thinking someday, well someday needs to come because I have a stack that needs my attention.  I just have other things on my list, maybe I need to clear that list for vests and embroidery.  I do find when I go to antique stores I look for dresser scarves and doilies which i love and use. I know it is old fashioned but I don't care, I love them.  I often wonder who they were made for, why were they given away, did no one want them any more?  
Quilts: Not for me, too much fussy perfection involved.  I have cut out squares to make a Halloween quilt and like everything else they are sitting waiting to be sewn.  I just have too much on my plate to get all these projects done.  
Craft Fair: I love to go to these to see what others are doing and get ideas.  I try to buy at least one thing but that is hard to do.  A couple of my friends have booths so I try to go and support them.  I also like to hit the hand made embroidered tea towels and get at least one or two.  My aunt made me one a couple years ago and my hand embroidered ones are very thread bare.  But they are the best because someone actually took the time to make them.  A couple years ago I went to a Tea Fest where a pottery artist was trying to get in the market.  She had 2 purplish bowls that were so cheap I bought them.  I see she is in business and her prices have over doubled, so I feel fortunate I got them cheaper and they compliment the purples in my bedroom.  

It is too bad that kids today don't understand what goes into making something.  The time and love and trials and tests and wondering if anyone will buy it or like it.  It is sad they are not taught to actually know the satisfaction of making something.  It is a skill that needs to be taught again, so go out and teach someone something they can make.  Self satisfaction of a job tried never gets old.

No comments: