Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Week 17 The Gentle Art of Domesticity

How much pressure have you put on yourself to keep a perfect house or provide an endless stream of homemade meals?
* Have the epiphanies which Jane writes about from personal experience and observation offered you a different view of how to love your domestic life and let go of perfectionism?
* What made your heart happy in today's study?
 
I keep my house clean because that is who I am.  When it gets overly cluttered I take a day to unclutter because I have been busy or involved in a project and just let stuff lay around until I was ready to take care of it.
 
She talks about bread making. I think it takes the right temp and humidity and the proper yeast and kneading.  Anyone can make bread, you truly can, but you need to be careful of the yeast needing the right conditions to rise properly.  There is nothing better than the smell of yeast bread and then when done, smear butter on the top, cut off a piece and slather it with butter. It truly does not get any better than that.
 
Haberdashery:  that is a mouthful. I always wanted to spend time in one, but are there any left?  There is a 4 story store in San Francisco that I think comes close full of fabric, trim, buttons, etc.  You can spend a week or more in there. It is a magical place.  Can you imagine working in a Haberdashery, all the little things to keep track of, all the things that you probably would never see all of, and just the sheer magic of finding unique items for just the right project.  I like going to antique stores and finding old sewing boxes which is a mini Haberdashery in itself.  I keep the wood thread spools because they don't make them anymore, the plastic i use as cat toys.  It is fun to find old needles cases, buttons, etc and you have a new sewing box as well. Sometimes I find a penny or dime in them, who knows why were they found in a pocket of a garment that was being mended?  Antique stores often have old buttons, old lace, etc, all the things that you would find in a haberdashery.  
 
Ironing: I hate it. I learned how on pillow slips and tea towels, and my dad's handkerchiefs. I hate ironing shirts, the sleeves and yoke, no thanks. I rarely iron anything but fabric i buy and wash and iron for a project.  Please make it go away.  
 
Clotheslines: I remember hanging clothes as a kid.  You wet a paper towel and ran it along the line to clean it especially the bird poop.  My mom would fill her mouth full of clothespins and down the row she would go. I was too short so I handed her the items and the pins and soon they were flapping in the breeze. How I loved to smell clean sheets on my bed that night, sheer heaven.  There are hardly any lines anymore, we have dryers and that is not a pleasant smell except I use dryer balls and put a drop of essential oil on them.  Plus there is the possibility of someone stealing your stuff.  Then when we brought everything in there was more ironing. Did I mention I hate to iron?
 
 

No comments: