Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Week 18 The Gentle Art of Domesticity

* Which topic spoke out to you? Why?
* Who would you consider a style icon and what do you admire about them?
*  Do you gain inspiration from trends or are you confident in your own style?
* Do you collect anything kitschy? Tell us about it. I'm sure many would consider my collection of vintage linens as kitsch.
 
Great style should appear effortless.  In this week's reading she talks about Cary Grant and Doris Day movies.  If you know me you know my fondness for Doris Day and she just passed.  TCM had all her movies on last weekend and they are on my DVR for one of those days when I need to escape from the world and watch them and knit.  I loved her clothes in the movies, the suits, shoes, hat, purse, perfectly coifed hair, etc.  That is not me, but I loved her because she seemed to just slide into the clothes and it was sheer perfection.  Cary Grant, now there is a man who was gorgeous but in a tux, well be still my heart.  (Too bad women today only have those man bun soy latte drinking boys to look at).  
 
I am a jeans and tee shirt girl. In the winter I live in my sweats and feel like wearing a pair of jeans is dressing up. When you are retired there is not reason to dress up.  I do dress to go to church just because I don't believe jeans or sweats belong in church, but that is me.  
 
She puts a recipe for Jam Tarts in the book.  I made tarts once, they were just awful.  We were in Oklahoma City where dad was attending the FAA Academy. I was in high school and wanted to make a dessert. I made an oatmeal shell, too thick, and used what was in the frig, green grapes, peanut butter, jello, and something else. Dad made me eat one and he ate one too, but mom and my brother took one bite and threw them out.  That is my one and only attempt at making tarts. Perhaps it is time for me to try them again.  
 
 

No comments: