Sunday, January 06, 2019

The Gentle Art of Domesticity

I follow a blog http://www.elefantz.com/ who is a christian woman living on the other side of the world.  Her blog is full of embroidered items that make a home more beautiful and homey.  She shares her life, her recipes, her patterns and her belief and stumbles in God.  Reading her blog is very calming which brings me to this blog post.

She has often referred to a book The Gentle Art of Domesticity.  Being raised in the femi-nazi era women were told to put their house-making skills to the side because after all we should be going after men only jobs.  Really why couldn't I do both.  As a child I learned to knit, crochet, embroider, cross stitch, and sew.  As a person with outside allergies my time outside was limited so i filled my time with projects and books. 

Don't even get me started on how much time I spend on Pinterest, my boards have become my file cabinets full of ideas.  I had an Amazon gift card so I decided to purchase a copy of the book especially since on her blog this year we are working our way through the book.  I received my copy this week.  Yesterday I read through the first chapter and I so identified with the author.  I can't wait to work our way through the book and make my house more domesticated with my craftwork.  Being retired I thought I would have more time to devote to my crafts but somehow others things keep taking my time. This year I am taking time for myself and working on my crafts, after all all those craft items in the basement won't make theirselves. 

If you want to join along subscribe to her blog and work through the book with us. She also has a Facebook page and her patterns are being moved from Craftsy to Etsy.