Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Week 2 The Art of Gentle Domesticity

What crafts or creative domestic activities did you pursue when you were young?

Have you continued with them?

Is there one or more that fell by the wayside but which you'd like to try again?

What inspired you in our study this week?
 
 
 
We are beginning our study of the book this week.  The introduction is all about how the women's movement told us we were to give up our domestic activities such as knitting, baking, gardening, embroidery, cross stitch, sewing, etc.  WHY?  I love doing these things, I don't want nor am I giving them up until I die.  Why can't I work outside the home AND do all these things as well.  I feel blessed that my parents taught me how to be self-sufficient.  My dad taught me to change a tire, sheet-rock, paint, garden, wire, plumb for gas, etc. and gave me my love of books. My mother taught me to cook, bake, do laundry, embroidery, sew, iron, etc.  My paternal grandmother taught me to knit and crochet.  I taught myself to cross stitch.  

When I was 4 my paternal grandmother taught me to knit and crochet because they are skills she thought I might need someday.  Boy was she ever right.  I knit a lot more than I crochet and I would love to take her to the yarn stores today.  She sat me on the floor in front of her because she was left handed and taught me.  

When cross stitch seemed to be a booming craft I picked it up. I tried needlepoint but never really got into it.  I tired of cross stitch because you can't wear it and it is not really functional and how many cross stitch items do I really need?  I do still cross stitch once in a while and am currently working on 12 Christmas villages. 

I never really cared to learn to quilt. Too many pieces and too much perfection in making all those pieces and corners line up.  Then there is the whole quilting of that large piece of fabric. Nope not for me. 
 
I took a tatting class at the library, or I should say I started it but my mother had a heart attack and had to drop out.  They have never had the class again and it is something I would like to learn, I have a couple of books and there are some you tubes out there, so maybe I will try that again.
 
I am not an artist, I can't draw a stick figure. My niece talked me into one of these paint nites and boy was it fun.  We have attended 2 so far and have a cardinal one scheduled for next week. I have bought some canvasses from Hobby Lobby and thought I might make some and hang around the house.  

I discovered on one vacation when I was in High School I am allergic to the sun. If I am outside in the sun over a couple of hours I break in water blisters and boy do they itch.  So knowing how to do several crafts and my love of reading keeps me busy when I can not go outside.  In the summer I am up at 6 (normal for me) and do my yard work so that when the sun comes up over the houses across the street I can go inside.  I do my "chores" and at noon when I sit down for lunch, I quit for the day and do what I want which includes some type of craft work.  I try to read every night before I retire for the day.
 
Don't let anyone tell you can't do something because it does not meet the "cause."  You do what you want and have fun.