Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Week 4 Domestic Library and Pineapple Passion

What book have you read in the past which still holds an emotional connection for you? In what way?

Can you suggest any novels which nurture a 'domestic' culture?

Has today's study inspired you to read any of the titles Jane has listed as her read and re-read favourites?
 
I have always loved Charlotte's Web.  Every time I see a copy I purchase it.  One can never have too many books or copies of their favorites.  I also love The Harbinger and try to read it annually.  The Shack has become a favorite as well.  I love murder mysteries and special ops books (Vince Flynn and Brad Thor).  I have a ton of historical books about America and how we got to where we are now.  
 
My father gave me my love of books, he read all the time and I always had a bookshelf of books.  We had the library at school and during the summer we would go to the library every week.  I never was one to take naps but if I laid down with a book then I did not have to nap.  Too me it was a joy to have the house quiet while my mom and brother napped and I could read to my heart's content.  My mom has a picture of me on my potty chair reading a book, guess I have always read almost since birth.
 
When I was in 2nd grade I read 100 of these blue hard bound books that were autobiographies of famous people.  It was my goal. I guess some would say I was a weird kid because I lived to read. I still do pretty much. My house is full of books.  They take me where no mode of transportation can.  
 
I am not one of those Jane Austen, Downtown Abbey, Little House on the Prairie types of reader. I don't know that I have what I would call a domestic culture novel in my house. There is not a book on the author's list that I would read because they are not the type of books that interest me.  

The author loves pineapple so much that she made a Carmen Miranda type of tea cozy which is pretty cool.  My father's favorite cake is pineapple upside cake.  Every year for his birthday and Father's Day he gets one. He will be 95 in a couple of weeks so I have the supplies and recipe all ready to go.  The cake really need to be made in a cast iron skillet so the butter and brown sugar get that great crust that clings to the pineapple slices.