Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ravelry

I don't remember how I found out about Ravelry, guess it does not matter now. I signed up because based on what I had read and previewed it looked like a great place for me to get my knitting organized if nothing else. I eagerly awaited my place inline to become accepted as a member. The day finally came, I had my name picked out and created my profile. I have added some of my stash in various areas and some projects but have never really had the time to devote to working my own little space there.

After the incident this week of having my group removed due to political issues I debated whether I wanted to remain a part of this large international group. I decided to stay based on the fact that I love the ladies in my now defunct group, they are my online family. I have learned so much from them, we laugh together, we cry together, we love together, we pray for each other, we have so many likenesses in common but mostly our love for America and wanting to see it prosper as the country we know and love. We create afghans for those conservatives who mean a lot to us and have online baby showers. I do belong to other groups but am not real active in them, but I still get "stuff" from them.

I still think Ravelry is a great place to use as a crafter. I do not feel however that many of the groups that are allowed to exist should be on there. I noticed the other day a young child who was just learning to knit, if I was his mother I would not want him exposed to the vulgarity of speech and ravatars, the group such as crotch shots and those discussing their periods and some of the general ugliness. I would hope after this incident that the moderators of Ravelry would step back, take off their liberal glasses and re-adjust to make Ravelry the great place it could be.

No comments: