Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Pick up Those Pennies

>You always hear the usual stories of pennies on the sidewalk being good
>luck, gifts from angels, etc. Several years ago, a woman and her husband were invited to spend >the weekend at the husband's employer's home. She was
>nervous about the weekend. The boss was very wealthy, with a fine home on
>the waterway, and cars costing more than her house
>The first day and evening went well, and Arlene was delighted to have this
>rare glimpse into how the very wealthy live. The husband's employer was
>quite generous as a host, and took them to the finest restaurants. Arlene
>knew she would never have the opportunity to indulge in this kind of
>extravagance again, so was enjoying herself immensely..
>
>As the thre e of them were about to enter an exclusive restaurant that
>evening, the boss was walking slightly ahead of Arlene and her husband.
>He stopped suddenly, looking down on the pavement for a long, silent
>moment.
>
>Arlene wondered if she was supposed to pass him. There was nothing on the
>ground except a single darkened penny that someone had dropped, and a few
>cigarette butts. Still silent, the man reached down and picked up the
>penny.
>
>He held it up and smiled, then put it in his pocket as if he had found a
>great treasure. How absurd! What need did this man have for a single penny?
>Why would he even take the time to stop and pick it up?
>
>Throughout dinner, the entire scene nagged at her. Finally, she could stand it no longer.. She casually mentioned that her daughter once had a coin collection, and asked if the penny he had found had been of some value.
>
>A smile crept across the man's face as he reached into his pocket for the
>penny and held it out for her to see. She had seen many pennies before!
> What was the point of this?
>
>"Look at it." He said. "Read what it says!." She read the words " United
>States of America "
>"No, not that, read further."
>"One cent?" "No, keep reading."
>"In God we Trust?" "Yes!" "And?"
>"And if I trust in God, the name of God is holy, even on a coin. Whenever I
>find a coin I see that inscription. It is written on every single United
>States coin, but we never seem to notice it! God drops a message right in
>front of me telling me to trust Him? Who am I to pass it b y? When I see a
>coin, I pray, I stop to see if my trust IS in God at that moment. I pick
>the coin up as a response to God; that I do trust in Him. For a short time,
>at least, I cherish it as if it were gold. I think it is God's way of
>starting a conversation with me. Lucky for me, God is patient and pennies
>are plentiful!
>
>When I was out shopping today, I found a penny on the sidewalk. I stopped
>and picked it up, and realized that I had been worrying and fretting in my
>mind about things I cannot change. I read the words, "In God We Trust," and
>had to laugh. Yes, God, I get the message.
>
>It seems that I have been finding an inordinate number of pennies in the
>last few months, but then, pennies are plentiful! And, God is patient..
>The best mathematical equation I have ever seen:
>1 cross
>+ 3 nails
>--------
>4 given
>
>That's the whole gospel message simply stated. Take 60 seconds give this a
>shot! Let's just see if Satan stops this one.
>All you do is -
>1. Simply say a small prayer for the person who sent you this, (Father God
>bless this person in whatever it is that you know he or she may be needing
>this day.)

This seems like something Joyce Meyer would say.

No comments: