Monday, November 28, 2022

RIP Smudgey

 Smudgey was doing the squat and pee thing I know what that means,she had thrown up quite a bit and I could tell we needed to head to the ER vet.  What I did not know is she would not be coming home to live with me any more.  I know she had been a feral at least 10 years, been inside almost 2 years and the vet thought she was around 15 which is a long time for a feral.  I fed her when she was outside, loved her and gave her shelter.  At her annual review earlier in the year her kidney numbers looked a bit off so we changed her diet, etc.  A month ago she was doing the squat and pee and her numbers were up a bit.  Well tonight her kidney numbers were off the chart.  

I know she was not long for this earth as her coat was getting matted and dry, she had trouble walking and figured her time was coming, I did not expect it today.  The vet said we could do fluids and meds and on and on or I could let her go.  Her days were getting shorter and shorter.  I opted to let her go because I did not want to stress her out anymore than she was and really what would be her quality of life.

She pretty much spent all day upstairs on my bed and only came down when she was hungry.  However the past 2 weeks she spent most of her time parked on my chair right beside me. Did she know?  Did she decide she needed to spend as much time with me as she could, she always slept with me.  She would have to have her head rubbed for about 20 minutes before she settled down on her blanket and then she would be awake at 3am for another snuggle and if I was not up by 5 she was insistent.  

She was the sweetest girl and I had no idea when she came in how much of a snuggler she was.  She was my last feral I brought in.  

I loved her when she was outside and worried about her and was overjoyed when she finally came in.  

I know my dad and God are watching over her for me.

I love you Smudgey and I will see you again some day.



No comments: