Sunday, July 08, 2018

Fabric is the new Coffee

Have you bought fabric lately, well we are getting short changed.  Remember when they made coffee and sugar smaller but still charged the  same price?  Also ice cream?  Fabric is now on the bandwagon.  I went in search of some simple cotton shirts and cotton dresses to wear to church.  They pretty don't exist unless you want to pay $60 at Kohl's.  Don't think so.  I decided to get my patterns out and make myself some clothes.  I started looking at cotton fabric, really $10/yard and it is no longer 44/45" wide.  When I got out my tape measure it was 40".  So if the pattern says I need 2 yards for 44/45" how do I figure what I need for 40"?  The patterns have not caught up to the shortage of fabric width.  I always but a little more than I need because of shrinkage, but now how do you know how much to get?  At $10/yard now you are paying quite a bit for a shirt if you need buttons or zippers and other things then the price becomes as much in the store.  I also want a short sleeve not those cap sleeves they put on shirts now, one that comes to within a couple of the crease in my elbow. 
What happened to clothes, why can't I find a reasonably priced decent shirt or dress. I don't want clingy, see through with my shoulders showing or most of my upper arm.  I feel like my dad who wishes we had some of the things back when I was much younger.
So for now I bought fabric on sale with coupons and am making a muslim pattern to see how much I really need and how it fits.  Oh yea when did darts come back?  I hate darts.

Off to go something that does not require me to do anything but sew straight seams and hem things.