Monday, May 01, 2017

Monarchs

Yesterday I introduced my neighbor kids to the monarchs I am growing.  I explained all about them.  There were quite a few on the milkweed.  It got quite cold last night, low 40's. This morning I went out and many of them are gone, did not see them on the ground and they weren't that big.  The ones hanging on appear to be dead, did they get too cold?  So I don't know what has happened but I will continue to watch them and hope maybe they are just in a coma.  I don't think they are big enough to start the cocoon process but then I don't really know much about them.

I found a great article on growing your own.  I know I need to find some more milkweed plants and get them going so that every year i can grow my own monarchs.

http://www.monarch-butterfly.com/grow-monarch-butterflies.html