Saturday, October 15, 2011

Roger Sings Johnny Cash

I went to the Roger Daltrey Tommy concert last night. Roger is 67 but you would never know it, he still has it.

The show started out with Paul Freeman warming up the audience for 30 minutes, he has an amazing voice and range and was quite humorous as well. Check him out he is good.

The crowd was mostly middle age with a few younger in their 30's and half a dozen children. The Midland was packed, the lady I sat by was from out of town and had a flight this morning so thought she would find something to do and said at 4:30 yesterday afternoon there were 7 seats left. I still wonder about the Midland being so small but the fans were true blue WHO fans.

The concert was to promote the Rock Opera Tommy written by members of the band in the 70's. In case you never saw the Opera you can still get the movie with Ann Margaret. Roger had an amazing band and the lead guitarist was off the charts. They started with the music from the beginning of the Opera and finished with the last song. Of course the crowd favorites were Pinball Wizard and a few others but when the crowd was asked to sing the lyrics there was no hestitation we knew them all.

After the music from Tommy was sung they brought out some favorites WHO songs. Towards the end Roger explained he has been through some throat surgeries and the doctor told him to sing some low songs towards the end of the concert, so he did a medley of Johnny Cash songs. Who would have thought Roger Daltrey would sing Johnny Cash but he said he was a fan so he did and we loved it.

The show went on for 2 hours with Roger slugging down hot tea and water to keep his throat going and the crowd loved every minute of it.

When I was in High School I remember I had my Roger Daltrey poster complete with the long curls and my yellow Roger Daltrey Tee, I wore that out and wish I still had it.

It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to but then The Who along with Journey are my favorite bands. I suppose there will come a day when Roger's throat will give out and we won't have the pleasure of listening to him sing anymore but I do have my memories and he is truly a classic.

No comments: